Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday in the Kitchen: Pizza! (and more snow)

The tradition in our house is for the birthday child to pick the dinner of their choice...for my daughter, that usually mean homemade pizza.

One thing I've learned over the years of making dough, is that having a good mixer is not only a time saver, but an arm saver too - because mixing pizza dough by hand is HARD.

Here is my very basic but awesome pizza dough recipe (and honestly, it's not mine, it's from my mother-in-law.) Click to tweet this!

This recipe makes one thick crust or two thin crusts.

Pizza Dough

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast (or 2 tsp of the active dry yeast if you buy in bulk like I do!)
a pinch of sugar (add to yeast and dissolve in 1/2 cup very warm water)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 to 1 cup additional warm water.
a few shakes of dried Italian seasoning (optional)

Dissolve the yeast in warm water with the pinch of sugar and let stand about 5 minutes while it foams.

Put the flour in the mixer, add the salt and seasoning, turn on low using the dough hook. Pour in the yeast water. While mixing add the oil.

Slowly continue to add the additional warm water until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball.

Remove from the dough hook and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean towel and set to rise. (I put it in the oven on a top rack, with a pan of hot water underneath and leave it for several hours.)

When ready to make the pizza, remove the dough from the bowl and with sprinkle lightly with flour, and knead.

Lightly oil the pizza pan (I also sprinkle a little cornmeal on the pan)

Roll the dough and poke with a few fork holes.

Pre-cook the crust in a 375 degree oven until puffed and lightly golden.

Remove from oven and spread on your sauce and cheese.

Put back in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on how well done you like your cheese.

Enjoy!







And just for giggles...here's a few more pictures of the blizzard of 2013!




My son's car is under there somewhere!




Looks beautiful.

Would look even more beautiful if there wasn't so damn much of it!









Wishing you safe travels wherever your road leads!





* Because I love my readers and am grateful you choose to spend some time with me each week, all comments from Feb. 1 to Feb 28 are automatically entered into my monthly drawing for a 3 pack of mini travel-sized handmade soaps. Details and the scents for the month can be found on the "contest rules" page.

3 comments:

  1. My kids love homemade pizza!
    And I love all that snow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza looks delish, Debbie. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm tempted to try homemade pizza. It looks yummy!

    But the snow, ick, just total ick! Glad you were warm and safe in your house. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!