Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Self Publishing Sunday - Cover Design

Details and Buy Links


 Choosing to go the self-publishing path for my sweet holiday novella series meant I needed to consider the cover designs carefully. Let's face it, we all do it - judge the book by the cover, that is.

Cover design is important and not something to thrown together by anyone with PhotoShop on their computer. Even though I know what appeals to me, and I know what I want in a cover...I also know I don't have the skillset to create a cover I'd be happy showing to the public.

For the Starlight Hills Sweet Novella Holiday Series I went to one of my favorite cover designers, Elaina Lee at For The Muse Designs.

The books all feature a small town bake shop and it's matchmaker owner. They are lighthearted, seasonal novellas and we definitely wanted the covers to reflect that.

When I first started working with Elaina we worked on my name - you'll notice the font and the position are always the same - a branding technique that makes my books easy to spot.

Details and Buy Links
Next, we talked about the general feeling I wanted to evoke on this particular series - which was lighthearted, flirty and small town.

Elaina came up with the fun font you see on the books and I absolutely adore the way she's added the touch of whimsy to each title using a cupcake or cake for the dot in the "I". That tiny attention to detail is just one of the reasons Elaina is my go-to girl for cover art!





Details and Buy Links
Each cover reflects the story and the series - I think the feel of each one hits exactly the tone I was looking for and I couldn't be happier with the end result.

By the end of October the 4th book in the series will have a cover - the Thanksgiving themed  A PROPOSAL AND PUMPKIN PIE will be a November release - and I'm already looking forward to see what Elaina will create for this one.

What do you think of the covers for this series? Is it easy to tell they are part of the same series? Are they eye-catching enough to make you want to click and at least read the blurb?

If you're a self-published author, who is your go-to cover designer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!