Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Writing Life - LIRW Luncheon & Pitching

Part of being a writer is actually leaving the computer and mingling with other writers.

And agents and editors.

Which means talking about YOU and what YOU WRITE.

For the most part, I'm a social girl. I love a good party and if there's a chance for a tote bag, anything chocolate and something alcoholic...I'll sign up.

The nice thing about the LIRW Luncheon is always the relaxed atmosphere, guaranteed to put people at ease. Friendly, summer business casual and wonderful attendance, makes this at the top of my list of "must-do" events every year.

But...like a lot of writers I know, ask me to talk about myself and my current WIP and I might suddenly develop amnesia. Which is why for weeks before an event like the annual LIRW Luncheon - it's good to actually start memorizing your pitch.


That is, if you've decided to pitch.

Let's be honest, the industry has changed over the last few years - and I think it's a change in the author's favor (and the reader for that matter!)

I write time travels which is often put in the category of a "tough sell."

I know this. I don't care. This is what I love and what I write and I make no apologies for it.

Just a few short years ago being confident in your own work wasn't enough, and yes, I got hives talking about my books to any industry professional - even at a casual event.

Now?

Not so much. Because I've had success with a time-travel novella, I'm much more confident in the fact that I have options and if my book isn't right for one house, one editor or one agent...it's not the only game in town and I can take my ball to a new field.

So, yes I did practice my pitch and I'm excited about any opportunity that could present itself during a 4-hour event with 26 agents and editors mingling around. But, it's not often I get to wear something a little dressy and a little fun, so I'm definitely just as excited to be wearing this animal print dress! (Does that make me incredibly shallow?)

And toss in some chocolate and I'm a happy girl.

Do the new roads to publishing leave you just a little less stressed over pitching?



1 comment:

  1. I'm always stressed talking about what I write. This year I didn't have anything to pitch so I decided to try and make contacts. Well I'm not that good at small talk either. Unfortunately I don't think I made much of an impression to be even vaguely remembered. Oh well, another thing to work on.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!