Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Monday, December 17, 2012

A New York Holiday Minute

 First I need to a take a few lines to express my deepest sympathy, my heartfelt remorse and my utter shock at the senseless tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  My heart goes out to every parent of that community. I know our prayers and support aren't enough, but I do believe in God and I do believe in the power of our prayers. May God bless all those angels.

Now, for the first time in years I planned a trip into NYC (about 90 minutes by train) with the hubs and 2 of my 3 kids - because my oldest hates the city and refused to go.

Even though we all felt a little down this weekend and not really in the holiday spirit due to the CT tragedy - we went with the feeling that life can be short, it can be fleeting and we should take the moments with our loved ones when we get them and celebrate. We all know how quickly things can change, "in a New York minute" we like to say...and so we headed out for our long-planned day in the city.


Immediately after stepping out from Penn Station we found the most important destination of our day to our 13 year old daughter - the One Direction store! We stepped into a hot store brimming with screaming teenage girls in their absolute glory (Okay, I was teen once and admit to same the consuming crushes, I think David Cassidy was my first celebrity crush and if that doesn't date me, I don't know what does!)

After surviving the One Direction store and the jibes from her 19 year old brother...we continued on. We took a few wrongs turns once out of Penn Station, but we had some laughs and ended up at our next destination, The Discovery Center for their exhibit on the real world of Spying and Espionage.

As someone who deals in the fiction trade, even though I write romance, this was AMAZING. The stories, the photographs and the actual items used during the last 100 years or more were fascinating. From hollow coins to poison "suicide" pins and carrier pigeon cameras - we went from one room to the next pointing things out to each other. The fact that it held the attention of both a 13 year old girl and a 19 year old boy I think speaks volumes!

Being that it was cold and rainy, we didn't do as much window shopping as we would have liked, but the window displays at Macy's are always worth braving the weather for. This year the windows depicted scenes from "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause" and they were all fun to see.

After eating dinner we headed for the tree in Rockefeller Plaza. Here I am with my wet hair (Isn't hubby lucky he has no hair to worry about? LOL!)

The train ride home was quiet but the smiling faces sitting across me filled my heart with all the goodness and hope I still feel and want to believe in. I gave my kids a wonderful memory that will last a lifetime this weekend and as a mom, that's all I can ask for.

Happy Monday my friends and safe travels wherever your road leads this holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. The tradition with the gigantic tree lives on :) I've remembered that tree for years now, and its still lived on.

    -Samudaworth Tree Service

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!