Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

52 Ways to Joy - Say the Nice Word

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." ~ John Templeton

I can't speak for everywhere in this world, but I can tell you that in my little corner of the universe and the places I've traveled lately - people are rude.

And as if most of us don't have enough insecurities all on our own - those around us are often willing (and able!) to tell us all about our flaws. Isn't that nice of them?

I don't know about you, but I think a nice word might go a long way toward spreading a little bit of joy quicker than pointing out a flaw or a mistake.

 It's way too easy to get caught up in the negative world of pointing out what's wrong - maybe if we all take a minute or two to find something nice to say instead, we can spread a little less hatred and a little more love.

My mother always said "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything." I think that's line one in the "mom manual."

But how often do I think about it and choose the other direction? Too often.

Or how often does the thought to say something nice cross my mind? Not often enough.

This weekend a friend and I discussed this very thing. Why do people feel that they can only elevate themselves by putting others down? Why as a society do we find it so much more difficult to point out an attribute? Does it diminish our own smile if we comment on the smile of another?

Over the past year I'm not ashamed to admit I've seen a few more gray streaks, okay, a LOT more gray streaks, running through my hair. I've also been "blessed" with an unruly head of hair that seems to have a mind of it's own on most days. To say it's hard to control would be an understatement. My hairdresser does wonders in suggesting hairstyles that control it and also go a long way toward keeping me in style. My hair lately has been a sensitive subject for me.

This weekend at a conference, I was sitting with a woman I admire (actually the woman giving the workshop) and the first thing she said to me? "You have great hair!"

One nice thought.

It doesn't even matter if she lied. She seemed sincere to me and in the second it took to say the words, my day was better and it cost her nothing. It didn't make her hair any less fabulous.

The power of a nice word.

Your mission this week is find the nice words to say before you point out the flaw. Make someone's day. Spread the joy one nice word at a time!



 *52 Ways to Joy is a weekly post to celebrate the simple ways to bring joy into your life and those around you. It's about the small moments that makes memories and give us all a sense of contentment in the crazy world we live in. If you're joining me here for the first time, by clicking on the label  "52WTJ" you can read the previous posts!


** Because I love my readers and am grateful you choose to spend some time with me each week, all comments from March 1 to March 31 are automatically entered into my monthly drawing for a 3 pack of mini travel-sized handmade soaps. Details and the scents for the month can be found on the "contest rules" page.



2 comments:

  1. It's easier to point out a flaw in others than it is to look at one self. (Did I say that right?) I have found if you say something nice to someone like you admire their necklace, hairstyle, tie, shirt, etc you'll get a genuine smile in return. And that's not bad in my book. You're right when you say there's power in a nice word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I must say, you do have a great head of hair!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!