Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blueberry Corn Muffins

someecards.com - The arrival of sweater season has coincided perfectly with my new habit of eating every carb I can possibly wedge inside my body

This time of year I love to make fresh muffins in the morning, they just seem to made for those crisp Fall days. (Okay, I lie...I love a good muffin anytime of the year!) I know I should probably watch all the carbs I love so much, but who can pass up some bready goodness with that first cup of coffee?

Another plus to whipping up a quick batch of muffins at home is that I won't be tempted to stop on the way to work to buy an over-sized, over-priced, calorie buster of a muffin at any of the popular places that otherwise call my name as I drive by. Yes, I am weak-willed when it comes to a good muffin. LOL

With the above in mind, I'm always on the lookout for easy (and semi-healthy) muffin recipes and I found this one in the Weight Watchers Meals in Minutes cookbook that's been sitting on my shelf now for more than 20 years (OMG!)

Blueberry Corn Muffins

1 Cup - less 2 tablespoons - uncooked yellow cornmeal
1 Cup - less 1 tablespoon - all purpose flour
1/4 Cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon PLUS 1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
1 Cup skim or non-fat milk
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1 Egg
1 1/2 Cups fresh or frozen blueberries (no sugar added)
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 Tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed

Preheat oven to 400. In mixing bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl combine milk, oil and the egg, mix until blended. Add wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until blended (do not use blender or over mix.) Fold in blueberries..
Spray muffins cups with non-stick spray. Fill each cup with equal amount of batter (about 3/4 full) and bake on center rake for 15 minutes. Remove and brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.  Return to over for another 5 minutes.
Remove from over and cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Those do sound pretty yum-tastic. Thanks for sharing. (Love the pic you included in this post. It seems a pretty accurate depiction for this girl)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I made banana nut muffins last night. I got up this morning thinking I'd heat one up and have it with my coffee. Allllllll gone. My husband took the entire batch to work with him. Grrrr. The man's lucky I have more batter in the refrigerator. I'll have to try your recipe...sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!