Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Friday, October 12, 2012

It's Conference Weekend Time!

someecards.com - I'm sure Oprah would've recommended your book if you ever wrote it

Writing is a solitary profession. Sure I love to skip all around the internet entertaining myself (and hopefully a few of you!) along the way on Twitter and Facebook - but when I'm working on my books, it's just me and the words on the page.

At least once a year I try to attend a writing conference. Sometimes on a grand and overwhelming scale, like RWA National or sometimes on a smaller, regional and much more intimate scale, like the NJRW Conference. And New Jersey is where I'm headed today!

My favorite things about a conference:

* Meeting up with old friends and making new ones.

* Putting faces to names I see online.

* The networking.

* The brainstorming.

* The workshops.

* The celebrations of success and the consolations of some of our defeats.

Even if just for the weekend, a conference has a way of filling my writer's well with hope, vision and renewed determination to get the books done. There's nothing like being in a hotel full of romance writers to pump up the motivation and redirect my focus. I always come home inspired by the keynote speeches and from the success of my friends.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" ~ Wayne Gretsky

Which is my world translates to, "Oprah can never recommend my book if I don't sit my ass down and write it!"

All the energy of a writing conference is part of my job, it's part of my motivation and I'm looking forward to all the little tidbits of information I will gathering this weekend.

Have a great weekend my friends!





3 comments:

  1. Ooh have fun Deb and be sure to share all the dirt when you get back to us. Going to a conference or two is on my list for 2013 and I'm in luck since one is in Vegas and there is one in Colorado Springs (going to hop over to see my bff and kill two birds with one stone)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Deb, that sounds like fun! And not too far away either. Maybe I'll attempt it next year - I really need a conference. Matter of fact, I'll put 'attend at least 1 conference' on my goal list for 2013! Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!