Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

52 Ways to Joy - Guilty Pleasures


"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." ~ Bertrand Russell


Part of being an adult is being responsible and serious. And let's face it, sometimes it's pretty easy to get caught up in that serious world of obligations.

There are bills to pay and deadlines to meet, it's not hard to get lost in the day to day rat race.

Since I believe life is all about balance - I think everyone needs a little time for themselves to indulge in a guilty pleasure. Why a guilty pleasure? Because unlike admitting on Facebook or Twitter you just ate a whole carton of fudge ripple ice cream...it's a little harder to own your secret addiction to The Bachelor or Survivor. That makes it so much more fun. Your secret indulgence. Just the idea of having that little guilty pleasure is mysterious, it's a secret and it's FUN!

Does anyone really care that you curl up on the couch and haven't missed an episode of Dancing with the Stars since it's debut? Maybe your co-workers will judge you and your choice of how you spend your down time, but what do you care what they think? (They're probably hiding their own guilty pleasure!)

If it makes you happy and refills your well with a little bit of happiness at the end of a long day...GO FOR IT!

Be guilty of eating that ice cream while you watch Billy the Exterminator relocate alligators and raccoons. Put your feet up and root for Barry to finally make some money on his locker in Storage Wars. Maybe you sit in bed with your laptop and play Farmville for hours...haven't you earned the right to an hour of "you-time?"

Most of us work hard, don't get nearly enough vacation time, and juggle kids, cleaning and writing books (and if you don't write books, that's ok too!)...don't we deserve an hour to get lost in something that brings nothing but joy?

Sitting down at the end of a hard day and feeling good? What the heck is wrong with that?

Go ahead and let that joy in. Enjoy your guilty pleasure and think of me when your spoon hits the bottom of the ice cream carton!

My guilty pleasure?  Anything with Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr. or Gerard Butler. Or cooking shows for the kitchen-challenged, like me!

May the road you travel be filled with joy and guilty pleasures this week!



 *52 Ways to Joy is a weekly post to celebrate the simple ways to bring joy into your life and those around you. It's about the small moments that makes memories and give us all a sense of contentment in the crazy world we live in. If you're joining me here for the first time, by clicking on the label  "52WTJ" you can read the previous posts!


** Because I love my readers and am grateful you choose to spend some time with me each week, all comments from March 1 to March 31 are automatically entered into my monthly drawing for a 3 pack of mini travel-sized handmade soaps. Details and the scents for the month can be found on the "contest rules" page.




2 comments:

  1. A Little guilty pleasure goes a long way and gives me something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too true...
    We need to take time for ourselves, and in doing so, create a joyful place so we can love better, treat others with care, and in general...be happy. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!