Welcome

Welcome to my blog, SCRIBBLING TO (IN)SANITY! First time here? I'm a romance writer who wants to believe most problems can be solved over coffee, a mixed drink or by anything covered in chocolate. I'm a believer in second chances and that it's always the right time to fall in love. As the saying goes, you're a guest in my house only once...then you're family. So I invite you to join the fun! I love comments but it's okay to lurk too - just know I'm glad you've found me and I hope you visit me again soon!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday in the Kitchen - Chilled Red Beans and Rice

Now that the weather is finally getting warmer, it means we'll be outside more. Barbecues and warm summer nights. I'm always on the lookout for a new salad idea to serve on the buffet with burgers or chicken on the grill.

Here's a new one I found this week looking through a cookbook of quick and healthy meals. Hope you enjoy it!

Chilled Red Beans and Rice 


1/4 cup Italian dressing 
3 Tbs water 
2 Tbs white vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground red pepper 
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp ground pepper

1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained
1 cup cooked long-grain rice (cooked without salt), chilled 
1 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 chopped tomato

Combine the first 7 ingredients, mix well and chill. (Preferably in a jar sealed tight, shaken vigorously!)

Combine dressing mixture, kidney beans and next 4 ingredients in a bowl; toss well.

 Cover and chill.

Enjoy!

***

Exciting news!  Beginning May 1st there's a new group blog in town! Heart-Shaped Glasses is where 12 authors will be chatting about writing and reality through the eyes of romance writers. I'm even offering the first month's Blog Swag Giveaway! Watch for more details and the link in the coming days...



2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, baby! I have a recipe that is similar, but this one looks awesome. Going to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethanne, it's really good, I made it tonight and served it with burgers hot off the grill. Yum. Hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the blog today and for joining in the conversation with your comment! Happy scribbling!